PE & Sports Premium
What is the Sports Premium?
In April 2013 the Government announced new funding of £150 million for Physical Education (PE) and Sport, often referred to as the Sports Premium. This funding was to be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and Sport provision.
When asked about the ‘Sports Premium’ at its launch, Lord Coe reflected: When I stood up in Singapore in 2005, I spoke of London’s vision to connect young people with the inspirational power of the Games so they are inspired to choose sport. By focussing on primary schools, we have the opportunity to use sport and physical activity to shape the daily lives of young people. I know from my own experience what an impact teachers and their engagement can have on the lives of young people. (Lord Coe)
Purpose of funding
Schools have to spend the sports funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE.
- New or additional sport clubs.
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport.
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport.
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in school games.
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport.
- Providing safe and secure storage for equipment and new equipment to support PE and sport.
Use of the Sports Premium at Woodborough School and who will benefit?
It is agreed that the money is used so that:
- All children benefit regardless of sporting ability;
- Children are able to join with other cluster schools in sporting competitions and activities;
- The most able children are given the opportunity to compete with other able children;
- Children with difficulties accessing the PE curriculum are supported;
- Staff have access to training opportunities and Continued Professional Development (CPD).
The attached documents show how much Sports Premium we receive and a breakdown of spending.
The documents and photographs below highlight some of our successes and the fun we’ve had this year. Be sure to look at our Sports Blog and read the Avon Valley School Sports Partnership Newsletters too.
If you have any questions regarding the PE & Sports Premium Funding, please do not hesitate to ask either Mrs Wren (PE Subject Leader) or Mrs Brewis (Headteacher).